A TINY PUP is lucky to be alive after suffering shocking injuries when her owner gave her a makeover using hair dye intended for humans.
Little Violet, a Maltese cross from Florida, was taken to the Pinellas County Animal Services for veterinary treatment after having a severe allergic reaction to the chemicals in the dye.
Violet arrived at the vet "limp and restless" with her eyes swollen shut and with "obvious burns to her skin", according to a post on the vet clinic's Facebook page.
She was treated with fluids and pain medication, and had her wounds bandaged after staff removed as much of the toxic substance as possible.
To staff members' surprise, Violet lived through the night - but the next day, they were horrified after her skin "began to slough off" once her fur was shaved to assess her injuries.
The vet shared Violet's story as a warning to other pet owners.
"It was so much worse than we initially thought - how would this little dog make it through?" the post said.
"Fast forward three months - pain medication, antibiotics, IV fluids, honey treatments, scab removal, anesthetising, bandage changes, sleepless nights, worrying, hope, worrying, hope and finally the silver lining.
"Still, we worried - did she have permanent blindness? Would there be infection? Would her hair ever grow back? Was there anything we were missing? When the final bandages came off we breathed a collective sigh of relief - Violet was beautiful."
The vet clinic said using human dye on pets could kill them.
"Please do not use hair dye intended for humans to express your pet's style. Let's all say that together - Do NOT, under any circumstances, use hair colour intended for humans on your pets," the clinic wrote.
"Chemicals in hair dye are TOXIC causing a wide array of external injury to your pet - possible burns, blindness and because an animal's first instinct is to lick, it can cause poisoning or internal burns. Just don't.
"Only use products specifically meant for pets or you could be putting your pet's life on the line." Violet now has a new family who have vowed to stay away from hair dye.